NATO PARTNERSHIP TRAINING AND EDUCATION CENTERS COMMANDANTS’ CONFERENCE (PTEC CC)
Between 1st and 4th April 2019, the Regional Department of Defence Resources Management Studies (DRESMARA) hosted the 19th annual NATO Partnership Training and Education Centres Commandants’ Conference, organized by the Allied Command Transformation (ACT) and co-chaired by Colonel Dieter KOHL / Germany – Headquarters Supreme Allied Commander Transformation (HQ SACT)/ Education, Training, Exercises and Evaluation Plans and Policy, Branch Head and Colonel Timothy E. DREIFKE / USA - Commandant of the NATO School Oberammergau
Designed to identify areas of mutual cooperation to advance the principle goals and areas of practical military cooperation as described in the North Atlantic Council approved PTEC Concept, the Conference had the following objectives:
- integrating the efforts of all centres in the future;
- Align education and training provided by the PTEC community to NATO principles to meet current and future requirements;
- strengthening practical cooperation in the field of education and individual training.
In the opening speech of the conference, held under the aegis of the 70th anniversary of the founding of the North Atlantic Alliance, 20 years since the establishment of the PTEC community and 15 years after Romania's adhering to NATO, Major General Catalin-Tomita TOMESCU, PhD, deputy secretary-general of the Ministry of National Defence, highlighted the special role of the 33 PTEC for education and individual training, especially in critical areas for achieving NATO strategic objectives, such as projecting stability, emerging security challenges, counterterrorism , counter IED, foreign languages, cultural awareness. At the same time, he welcomed the commandant of the Colombian International Demining Centre (CIDES)/Colombia, accredited as PTEC by the North Atlantic Council on March 15, 2019.
The conference was attended by:
- representatives of the NATO HQ/Brussels, Mrs. Frédérique JACQUEMIN - International Staff / Operations Division and Major Alovsat AGHAYEV, Azerbaijan - International Military Staff;
- NATO command structures - Allied Command Operations, respectively Headquarters Allied Joint Force Command Naples and Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE)/Military Partnership Directorate (MPD), Mons, Belgium;
- 32 commandants and delegates representing 24 PTECs.
The conference took place both in plenary session and in two sections:
- syndicate 1: Emerging security challenges, moderated by Mr. Alan HOWARD, Deputy Director of Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, USA, in cooperation with International Peacekeeping and Security Centre (IPSC)/Ukraine;
- syndicate 2: Projecting stability, moderated by DRESMARA Director, Colonel Florin-Eduard GROSARU, professor, PhD, in cooperation with the Finnish Defence Forces International Centre (FINCENT)/Finland.
During the conference the following issues were addressed:
- the modalities of regional PTEC cooperation on areas of interest that coincide with NATO priorities (Languages, Counter Terrorism, Emerging Security Challenges, Counter IED, Projecting Stability, Cultural Awareness);
- the effective use of NATO electronic platforms for PTEC better promotion their education offers;
- PTEC contribution to addressing emerging threats through their education and individual training programs;
- efficient use of NATO „Train the Trainer” and „Instructor Exchange” programs available to PTEC trough NSO;
- strengthening regional and bilateral cooperation and as well with the United Nations Organization, European Union and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe.
During the conference, on April 03, the participants had the opportunity to visit the educational and accommodation facilities of DRESMARA, being traditionally greeted by PTEC host's staff.
Run under exceptional conditions offered by the Grand Belvedere Hotel and Belvedere Hotel Complex, and with the special support of the Land Forces Staff, „Sarmizegetusa” 2nd Mountain Brigade, Emergency Military Hospital „Queen Maria” Braşov and „Henri Coanda” Air Force Academy, the 19th annual NATO Partnership Training and Education Centres Commandants’ Conference provided the perfect framework for relevant debates on concepts, principles and trends in education and individual training in accordance with NATO needs and requirements, participants sharing as well best practices and experiences.